Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Making Progress

So today was probably the first time since I got here that I really felt like I was making some progress..with my junior highers! Gone (mostly) are the days where they wouldn`t even say konnichiwa to me when they walked by; some are even saying Hello to me first now! And they no longer run away from me! Am I really that scary?! hahaha Sure, I`m monsterously tall, but still.

But I really started to feel good about my being here this morning during a 3rd year class. As soon as I walked in a few of the guys were all like `Sensei, sensei..which is colder, Canada or Japan?`...an actual question! And of course I said Canada, but holy frig! I may start to rethink my answer if it continues being this freaking cold! Really wish I could get my heaters going at home...it was a very cold night last night.... Anyways, we continued to have a lovely half English conversation about how cold we all were. Later on during the class, the Japanese English Teacher asked me to walk around and ask questions using the day`s new grammar, and I was surprised that they all actually answered me in pretty flawless English. Wait...I`m not sure if I`m properly getting across how exciting this is to me. Until now when I tried this in any class the kids would just look around like they were in pain `What the heck is she saying to me?!` so needless to say I feel good that the kids are beginning to be more comfortable speaking to me in what English they do know.

Then, as usual before lunch, we were all milling around waiting for the food to be laid out, when a few of my 2nd year girls started asking me questions. Again, mostly focused on how cold it is, and why I was wearing a suit (I have no other warm clothing! My mom didn`t send my winter stuff to me until a few weeks ago, so there`s at least a few more weeks of suffering through the cold), but again! They spoke to me first! Usually I`m the one to ask them questions and try to get them to talk to me. Unfortunately I could never really make any progress with them, causing a crippling downward spiral of `Why don`t they like me? What the heck am I doing here?` that usually ends in a deep depression of staring blankly at my computer screen for the rest of the afternoon...or in tears in the bathroom. (This has only happened a twice, I swear!)  Then in the lunch room some other 2nd years invited me to sit with them instead of my usual `Hey, can I sit here?` followed by frantic looking at each other to confer if I they should let me or not., which of course they would say yes cause it`s rude not too, but then I`d feel like I was encroaching for the rest of lunch. (Off topic: many of the older community ladies tell me I have a Japanese heart..not sure how I feel about this... :/ )  But what made me the happiest of all was the same 2nd years telling me that most of the students` favourite subject was English, and how sad they were that we didn`t have class this morning due to the other English teacher being sick.

Overall, a very good day with some definite progress. Nowhere to go but up now, right?!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Gina - Joetsu-Luke here, I stalked you over from Facebook!

    But dude, I really empathise with this entry! Seriously, it's amazing how the slightest change in students' attitudes can really make you feel like you belong here. The exact same things happen to me at lunchtime and getting students to ask me questions in class is like trying to get water from a stone! Glad to here things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron:
    Be joyful! And let the little bundles of light shine through the darkness! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. 生徒たち、ようやく慣れてきたんだねーー。
    ホントはみんな、最初から、ジーナと仲良くしたいって思ってたんだよ。
    でもさ、よほど馴れ馴れしい子か、よほど「英語命!!」って子じゃない限り、最初から、ジーナに親しげにできないもんなんだよ。
    英語ができる子でも、友達の前で、英語で話すってのが、恥ずかしいって思う子はたくさんいるし、ジーナには日本語が通じるけど、「日本語で話せる外国人先生」ってのに慣れてないと、どう接していいか、わからないもんなんだよ。

    ランチにジーナが、「一緒に食べていい?」って聞いたときだって、ホントはみんな「嬉しい!!」って思いながらも、お互いの顔色を伺うってのは、日本人の習性なのよ(苦笑)
    私はかなり、欧米化している日本人だと自負してるけど、基本的に日本人は、嬉しいとか悔しいとか悲しいとかっていう気持ちを、欧米人ほどには表さない人種だと思うんだ。
    そして、その気持ちを隠しているがために、ひきつった表情をしてしまうって人は、たくさんいると思う。
    慣れるまで、本当の気持ちをなかなか表現できないっていうのが、多くの日本人の習性だと思うので、またいつか、新しい学校に行って、新しい子に出会ったときは、普通の10倍くらい、ポジティブに考えることをお勧めするよ!!(笑)

    日本では、「空気を読む」ことって大事だとされてるし、日本人でも空気を読めなくて、自分の幸せな思い込みで、人に迷惑をかける人は結構いるけど(苦笑)、ジーナはちゃんと空気読めてるし、日本でも人気者であることは、200%保証するんで(笑)、もっとポジティブに、自信もって、日本を満喫してねーー!!!

    ReplyDelete